23.4.11

Ben and Jerry

I have a confession to make. I have an unhealthy-slightly obsessed love for Ben and Jerry. They are so sweet, always puts me in a good mood and mostly importantly; they are there when I need comfort. Now probably 80% of you thought I was talking about the ice cream, even though, yes, of course I love Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream I was actually talking about my cats.  I have two manx cats that I named Ben and Jerry in honor of the ice cream. I thought Tom and Jerry might be cute though, but 1. I dont' think my brother-in-law would appreciate a cat named after him, especially since he is severely allergic to them. and 2. I do not enjoy cartoons at the same level that I enjoy ice cream. Come to think of it, I don't think there is much out there that I enough at the same level as I do ice cream..but that's besides the point and I'm getting off topic.

Back to the cats.

It was a humid June afternoon as I walked in the the Elkhart County Humane Society. I was actually going in there to start the papers to adopt two Siamese kittens I had met earlier in the week at a Petco near my house. I have to be honest, I thought they were cute but I didn't 'fall in love' with them when I first saw them. I figured that would come later as I got to know them.

As I was waiting for the volunteer behind the desk I decided I would take a quick look around, I mean behind the wall I had happened to be leaning against were so many furry creatures I could barely stand not saying hello. I opened the door and told the ladies I would be right back. I walked down the corridor and viewed the pictures on the walls of happy pets in their new homes besides the letters of thanks and gratitude from families that had adopted them.

I turned right and decided to go into the dog room first, even though I am much more of a cat person I still enjoy the smiling faces of the canines as I entered the room. Right away my ears were pierced with the echoes of barking that bounced off the walls. Some of the dogs started jumping up and down, others sat and showed me their obedient skills begging with their eyes to receive the attention they so desperately wanted and needed. I smiled at them all and read each of their bios to learn a little more about them. My attention was drawn to 'Chips' she was an adorable boxer who sat patiently as I read her bio with a broad smile across her face. She and her sister 'Salsa' were brought in by a family that could not take care of them anymore and had been there for 2 weeks. The bottom of the page was stamped with the word 'ADOPTED'. I smiled at the thought of a new family taking in this loving girl and giving her a place to call home.

I walked back into the lobby and started filling out the paper work when I stopped and randomly asked the lady if they had any manx cats in the shelter. She said they did and would I like to see them? YEP! My mom had a manx cat and I was so mesmerized by her dog-like personality that I was intrigued to have a meet and greet with two in the shelter. We walked into the first cat room and the feline scent smacked me in the face, even for someone who didn't have allergies this room was a little overwhelming. She brought me over to the kennel that said O'Brian on it and said the other one was in the last cat room with the name 'Kosovo'. She left me there to meet this mystery cat who happened to be all the way in the back of the kennel. I peered inside and found a small mostly white face with yellow-green eyes staring back at me. I opened the kennel door and picked him up. O'Brian's body was brown with black stripes down his sides. He had white paws and a white chest, it wrapped around his neck to separate the brown of his head and body. I noticed he had a black stripe from each eye that started at the corner and worked it's way down to the white of his cheeks. He had a solid stomach that felt as though there was a small balloon inside of his body. He let me hold him and purred as I stroked his head while I read his bio. O'Brian had been at the shelter for 4 months, he was neutered but still had his claws. He was brought in by a family but 'was excited to find a new home to call his own.' I put O'Brian back into his kennel and went into the next room to meet 'Kosovo'.

The first kennel I looked at was Kosovo's. He saw me come in and right away began to rub against the cage door meowing as if to say 'Open up and pet me!' His stump ( Manx cats do not have tails due to a genetic mutation, although some do have a stump) was slightly bent but I decided it gave him character. He was a gray cat with what appeared to be leopard spots in white and tan on his stomach. He had sea foam eyes that were peferctly round. I fell in love right away. I took him out of his cramped kennel and brought his face up to mind. He nuzzled his nose against mine as if he was giving me a kiss. I knew this cat had to be mine. I held him close as I read that he had been in the shelter for 2 months. He was found outside and a kind sameritian brought him in. He was not neutered and had his claws. He was described as being very affectionate and loved to play.  I put him back into his kennel and walked into the lobby area. I was nervous to ask if it was to late to change my mind.

I told the women that I actually wanted Kosovo and if it was ok if I didn't adopt the Siamese kittens. They smiled and said it happened all the time and not to worry. The kittens were in a foster home and would more than likely be adopted soon. I noticed the chalkboard behind the desk that said for the month of June 'Adopt one cat and get a friend for free' I decided right there I would take both manx, filled out the paper work and told them I would be back on Monday to collect my boys!

The weekend before Monday I headed out to Target to get the much needed cat supplies I would need. It was so exciting setting up the house and getting all of the cat toys ready. All I had to do now was wait until Monday!

I pulled in the parking lot at 1 o'clock sharp. I was so nervous and excited all at the same time. I hadn't had a pet since I was 12 years old, and now I was getting two! I waited patiently as they read all my paperwork and prepared the cats. A young girl informed me that both of the cats where in the other room and even though they were not related seemed to be getting along quite nicely. They brought Ben (O'Brian) and Jerry (Kosovo) out to me; and me being the scrapbooker I am asked if they would take our first family photo. As they say the rest is history! :)




***( This story was getting a little long so I decided to do separate stories about both the boys at a later time)

No comments:

Post a Comment